Proxy Monitor 1.0#

Getting tired of switching your Internet Explorer proxy settings every time you plug your laptop in your home network after a day's work? Or when connecting to the corporate VPN that uses yet another proxy server? Then I've got the tool for you...

Proxy Monitor is a small application that monitors the network and auto-detects the internet proxy server to use. It can be started as a regular application, which will make it run as an icon in the system notification area. When started, it will auto-detect the proxy server to use. It will also automatically re-detect the proxy server when the computer’s network address has changed. The application can also be run from the command-line with the /detect flag to auto-detect the proxy and exit immediately (e.g. when the computer starts up).

It's taken me a while to release this tool, but the good news is that I've been using it every day for over two months so I guess that counts as an extensive beta period :-)

You can download the tool below. Don't hesitate to contact me for suggestions or bug reports!

The ProxyMonitor 1.0.60905 executable (101 KB)

You can also view the Readme file online.

Wednesday, October 18, 2006 1:09:07 PM (Romance Daylight Time, UTC+02:00)
Hi Jelle!

care to share how this auto-detection works (conceptually)? I'd be interested to find out.
Anyway this seems like a nice little project!

regards.
Kristof Verbiest
Wednesday, October 18, 2006 3:36:23 PM (Romance Daylight Time, UTC+02:00)
Hey Kristof,

Long time no see :-)

The autodetection is pretty simple actually: it works based on a configuration file, where you specify all your environments (home/work/...) and which proxy server they use. The application will then query the servers in parallel to see which one responds, either by pinging them or by downloading the proxy server configuration script (PAC file) if it exists. If one responds, then it configures your IE settings for you.

If you look at the readme file, you'll see what I mean.

Cheers,

Jelle
Tuesday, December 12, 2006 10:48:52 AM (Romance Standard Time, UTC+01:00)
Will it be the same if i change the setting to obtain the ip address automatically?

regards,
webhostforasp.net
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 11:54:02 AM (Romance Standard Time, UTC+01:00)
Can I configure ProxyMonitor to populate the "Don't use proxy for the following URLs" field (I translated the field's name from German, it may be different in English)?
Tuesday, March 6, 2007 12:19:00 PM (Romance Standard Time, UTC+01:00)
Erstam-

I'm sorry, you cannot configure that field through Proxy Monitor.

Loon-

I'm not sure I understand your question, this has nothing to do with IP addresses or DHCP?!
Monday, March 12, 2007 7:49:00 PM (Romance Standard Time, UTC+01:00)
Hi Jelle,

How can I configure ProxyMonitor to uncheck "Automatically detect settings" and "Use Automatic configuration script? Since we use a proxy at work, but I have no proxy at home and settings need to be disabled.

P.S. Thanx for a cool app!!

Regards
Dewald
Friday, June 22, 2007 12:09:27 AM (Romance Daylight Time, UTC+02:00)
Hi Jelle,

I have the same problem as Dewald. Proxy at work, no proxy at home. It would be very useful to have a section for settings when no proxy was detected.

Very nice app, otherwise.

cheers,
Russ
Russ
Friday, June 22, 2007 12:29:36 AM (Romance Daylight Time, UTC+02:00)
Hi Russ,

I accidentally replied to Dewald by email, but here's my response for the rest of you who might want to have this question:

I don't think I can uncheck "Automatically detect settings" so it's best to keep that unchecked at all times (you don't really need that anyway). The automatic configuration script can be specified in the settings file through the "autoConfigUrl" attribute (see the documentation), so it will work when you're at work. All settings will be cleared (including "Use Automatic configuration script") when you're at home where you don't have a proxy server, so this should work just fine.

Good luck!

By the way, I've been looking into the "Automatically detect settings" checkbox but there's no really easy way to do that (it's stored as a part of a binary blob in the registry). Any help or suggestions are always welcome of course :-)
Tuesday, August 7, 2007 1:40:57 AM (Romance Daylight Time, UTC+02:00)
Hi Jelle,

FANTASTIC tool! However I currently use Firefox more than IE. Is there a way to get this tool to change the Firefox proxy settings?

Thank you, thanks and thanks again!
JD
Comments are closed.
All content © 2014, Jelle Druyts
On this page
Top Picks
Statistics
Total Posts: 351
This Year: 0
This Month: 0
This Week: 0
Comments: 530
Archives
Sitemap
Disclaimer
This is my personal website, not my boss', not my mother's, and certainly not the pope's. My personal opinions may be irrelevant, inaccurate, boring or even plain wrong, I'm sorry if that makes you feel uncomfortable. But then again, you don't have to read them, I just hope you'll find something interesting here now and then. I'll certainly do my best. But if you don't like it, go read the pope's blog. I'm sure it's fascinating.

Powered by: